FACULTY ACHIEVEMENTS & ACTIVITIES
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (Extramural Research/Intellectual Property Right) sanctioned the project titled Development of New and Efficient Photo Sensitizers for Nanocrystalline TiO2 Based Dye Sensitized Solar Cells with a project outlay of 45.65 Lakhs. Dr. Duraisamy Kumaresan is the Principal Investigator and Dr. Nikhil Kothurkar and Dr. Yamuna are Co-investigators. Dr. K. Kalyanasundaram (Switzerland) and Dr. M. K. Nazeeruddin (Switzerland) are the Foreign Collaborators for the project.
The project is aiming to develop various new organic and inorganic sensitizers for the dye sensitized solar cells to achieve higher efficiencies from their current level. The project also aims to achieve benchmark cell level efficiency of 12- 13 % from Ru dyes. The organic and inorganic sensitizers will be prepared from cost effective chemicals to facilitate the larger scale preparation of solar cells.
- Mr. K. Jayanarayanan, Assistant Professor of the Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Sciences was awarded the Ph. D. degree from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, in the area of Polymer Science in May 2011. The Ph. D. thesis was titled, Studies on Microfibrillar based Composites. The research work was focused on the preparation and characterization of novel polymer-polymer composites from blends of polyolefins and polyesters. The processing of an incompatible polymer pair in which the dispersed phase forms in situ reinforced fibers is the preferable way to achieve the highest mechanical properties for polymer blends. The morphological, static & dynamic mechanical, thermal, and rheological characterization of the microfibrillar in situ composites prepared was carried out. Seven International journal papers were published from this work.
- Mr. P. Kanakasabai, Assistant Professor of the Department of Chemical Engineering & Materials Sciences was awarded the Ph. D. degree from IIT Chennai for his thesis titled, Novel Polymer Electrolyte Membranes based on PVA and PVA/SPEEK Blends, in July 2011. In his work cross linked poly (vinyl alcohol) and its blends with sulfonated poly (ether ether ketone) (SPEEK) as novel polymer electrolyte membranes are investigated for fuel cell applications. Blend membranes showed better properties for fuel cell applications. Wetting characteristics studies also suggests that these blend membranes are suitable for fuel cell applications.
- Dr. Sriram Devanathan gave a Plenary Lecture, Statistical Thinking and Six Sigma Methodology for Chemical Engineering Applications at the International Conference on Recent Advances in Chemical Engineering and Technology (RACET 2011) held at Cochin, on 10th March 2011.
- Mr. Vinoj Vasu gave a guest lecture, MOLD FLOW: Practical Approach in the Guest Lecture series organized by Indian Plastics Institute, Coimbatore Subchapter at Roots Industries Ltd., on 25th March 2011.
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan gave an invited talk on Nitrile rubber based nanocomposites, NCNM2010, NSS College, Ottapalam, on 17th March, 2011.
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan gave an invited talk on Role of mechanical property evaluation techniques in structural analysis of polymer composites, ICNC 2011, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, on 8th January, 2011.
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan and Mrs. Meera B. Sasikumar delivered an Invited Talk at ICMST 2010 on 31st October 2010, titled, Role of DoE [Design of Experiments] in development of Nanoclay – nitrile rubber composites, Proceedings of International Conference on Manufacturing Science and Technology (ICMST 2010), jointly organized by Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology and Materials Research Society of India, Thiruvananthapuram, October 29th – 31st, 2010.
- Dr. Sriram Devanathan conducted a two-day workshop on Quality Control for Composites, at the Vikram Sarabhai Space Center, Trivandrum, on Oct 25th – 26th, 2010.
- Dr. Duraisamy Kumaresan gave an Invited Talk on Design and Development of Efficient Photosensitizers for the Dye Sensitized Solar Cells, as part of the Technical Session at the ISAMPE AGM, NAL campus, Bangalore, on 23rd July, 2010.
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan gave an invited talk on Applications of DoE in polymer process/ product development during All Indian Rubber Industries Association Workshop, Coimbatore , 20th August, 2010
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan gave an invited talk on Polymer Characterization Techniques, Workshop on Polymer Science & Technology organized by the Society for Polymer Science of India, Thiruvananthapuram Chapter, on 24th July, 2010
- Prof. R. Subba Rao was awarded FELLOW of Indian Plastics Institution by the Governing Council of IPI on 14th June, 2010.
- Dr. K. S. Balaraman, Distinguished Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, received Leadership and Excellence Award for Energy Conservation at Chemtech World Expo 2010, May 4, 2010.
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan and Mrs. Meera Balachandran, gave an invited talk on Elastomer-based nanocomposites: Trends and Challenges at the National conference on Frontiers in Polymer Nanomaterials and Composites, organized by Dept of Polymer Technology, B. S. Abdur Rahman University, Chennai, on March 18th and 19th, 2010.
- Dr. S. S. Bhagawan gave invited talk on Polymer Composites in Space Technology during the National Seminar on Engineering Design, Analysis & Testing of Composite Structures, organized by Hindusthan College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore, on February 11th, 2010.
- Dr. Murali Rangarajan, Associate Professor along with Dr. T. Ramachandran, Professor,Department of Chemistry and Dr. Krishnashree Achuthan, Professor initiated a project titled,Electrochemically Tailored Compliant Solder Materials for Flip‐Chip Joining. The
project received a grant of Rs. 62.48 lakh from the DRDO.
- Dr. Murali Rangarajan gave an invited talk on Model-based Optimization and Control of an Atmospheric Crude Distillation Unit, at the two-day "National Conference on Control of Nonlinear Systems", at Adhiyaman College of Engineering, Hosur, on the 6th October 2009.
- Mr. Vinoj Vasu, gave an invited talk on Principles of Plastics Product Design, as part of the Guest Lecture Series for Indian Plastics Institute at Roots Industries Ltd., Coimbatore, on 17th July, 2009.
- Dr S. S. Bhagawan, gave an invited talk on Polymers in Space Technology – during the Workshop on “Emerging Trends in Specialty Polymers”, Yenepoya University, Mangalore, February 2009.
- Mrs. Meera B. Sasikumar, gave an invited talk on Flow Behavior Plastics in Processing Equipment, in the Guest Lecture Series for Indian Plastics Institute at Roots Industries Ltd., Coimbatore, on 11th October 2008.
- K. Jayanarayanan, Sabu Thomas and Kuruvilla Joseph. Effect of Blend Ratio on the Mechanical and Sorption Behaviour of Polymer – Polymer Microfibrillar Composites from Low - Density Polyethylene and Polyethylene Terephthalate, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 31(8), pp. 549-562, April 2012.
- Meera Balachandran, Sriram Devanathan, R. Muraleekrishnan, S. S. Bhagawan. Optimizing Properties of Nanoclay – Nitrile Rubber (NBR) Composites using Face Centred Central Composite Design, Materials and Design, Vol. 35 (R1-R2), pp. 854–862, March 2012.
- Rajathilagam B., Rangarajan M. and Soman K. P. Frequency Analysis of Signals and Images Using G-Lets, Journal of Imaging and Robotics, Vol. 8(2), pp. 30-48, February 2012.
- Meera Balachandran and S. S. Bhagawan. Mechanical, Thermal and Transport Properties of Nitrile Rubber (NBR) – Nanoclay Composites, Journal of Polymer Research, Vol. 19(2), pp. 9809, February 2012.
- Kumaresan D. Photophysical Studies on Terpyridyl Platinum(II) Chromophore - Electron Acceptor Dyads for the Photocatalytic Hydrogen Generation from Water, American Chemical Society: Division of Fuel Chemistry, Vol. 57(1), pp. 66-68, January 2012.
- B. Rajathilagam, Murali Rangarajan and K. P. Soman. G-Lets: A signal Processing Algorithm, International Journal of Computer Applications (IJCA), January 2012.
- Gejo George, E. Tomlal Jose, K. Jayanarayanan, E. R. Nagarajan, Mikael Skrifvars and Kuruvilla Joseph. Novel Biocommingled Composites Based on Jute/ Polypropylene Yarns: Effect of Chemical Treatments on the Mechanical Properties, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 43(1), pp. 219-230, January 2012.
- Devi L. U., Bhagawan S. S., Thomas S. Dynamic mechanical properties of pineapple leaf fiber polyester composites, Polymer Composites, 32 (11), pp. 1741-1750, 2011.
- Devi L. U., Bhagawan S. S., K. C. M Nair and Thomas S. Water absorption behavior of PALF/GF hybrid polyester composites, Polymer Composites, 32 (3), pp. 335-346, 2011.
- Meera Balachandran, R. Muraleekrishnan and S. S. Bhagawan. Modelling and optimizing properties of NBR composites using Box-Behnken design,
Rubber Chemistry and Technology, 84(4): 455-468, 2011.
- Balasubramanian Suresh, S. Maruthamuthu, Alika Khare, N. Palanisamy, V. S. Muralidharan, R. Ragunathan, M. Kannan and K. Navaneetha Pandiyaraj, “Influence of Thermal Oxidation on Surface and Thermo-mechanical Properties of Polyethylene”, Journal of Polymer Research, November 2011.
- Sathiyan S., Rangarajan M. and Ramachandran S., “Studies of Heat Transfer for Water-Diesel Two-Phase System in a Spiral Heat Exchanger”, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, Volume No.25(2) - 195-201, June 2011.
- Meera Balachandran, Sriram Devanathan, R. Muraleekrishnan, S.S. Bhagawan, “Optimizing Properties Of Nanoclay - Nitrile Rubber (BR) Composites Using Face Centered Central Composite Design, Materials and Design, Elsevier Publications”, 8 April 2011.
- B. Suresh, S. Maruthamuthu, M. Kannan and A. Chandramohan, “Mechanical and Surface Properties of Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) Film Modified by Photo-Oxidation”, Polymer Journal, Volume No. 43(4) - 398–406, April 2011.
- Meera Balachandran, S.S. Bhagawan, “Studies on Acrylonitrile-Butadiene Copolymer (NBR) – Layered Silicate Composites: Mechanical and Viscoelastic Properties”, Journal of Composite Materials, 17 March 2011.
- Kanakasabai P., Vijay P., Abhijit P., Deshpande and Susy Varughese, “Crosslinked Poly (vinyl alcohol)/ Sulfonated Poly (ether ether ketone) Blend Membranes for Fuel Cell Applications – Surface Energy Characteristics and Proton Conductivity”, Journal of Power Sources, Volume No. 196 (3), Page No. 946-955, February 2011.
- K. Jayanarayanan, Sabu Thomas and Kuruvilla Joseph. “In Situ Microfibrillar Blends and Composites of Polypropylene and Poly (ethylene terephthalate): Morphology and Thermal Properties”, Journal of Polymer Research, 18(1), 1-11, January 2011.
- E. Tomlal Jose, P.C.Thomas, K. Jayanarayanan, Jacob Mathew and Kuruvilla Joseph. “Solvent Uptake and Accelerated Solar Aging Studies of Cotton‐Polypropylene Commingled Composite Systems”, Polymers and Polymer Composites, RAPRA Technology Publications, Volume No. 18 (2), Page No. 103‐112, January 2011.
- Sathiyan S., Murali Rangarajan, Ramachandran S. “An Experimental Study of Spiral Plate Heat Exchanger for Nitrobenzene-Water Two-Phase System”, Journal of Bulgarian Chemical Communications, 42(3), 205-209, October 2010.
- Kannan M. “Characterization of Nanoclay Filled Polymer Blends”, SPE Plastics research, Online: Plastics Nanotechnology, September 2010.
- Kannan M., Bhagawan S. S., Tomlal Jose, Sabu Thomas and Kuruvilla Joseph. “Preparation and Characterization of Nanoclay Filled Polyurethane and Polypropylene (TPU/PP) Blends”, Polymer Engineering and Science, 50(9), 1878-1886, September 2010.
- Uma Devi L., Bhagawan S. S. and Thomas S. “Dynamic Mechanical Analysis of Pineapple Leaf/Glass Hybrid Fibre Polyester Composites”, Polymer Composite, 31 (6), 956-965, June 2010.
- Keiko M. Tarquinio, Nikhil K. Kothurkar, Dharendra Y. Goswami., “Bactericidal effects of silver
plus titanium dioxide‐coated endotracheal tubes on Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus”, International Journal of Nanomedicine, Volume No. 2010 :5, Page No. 177‐183, March 2010.
- P. Kannan, J.J. Biernacki, D. P. Visco Jr., “Fast Pyrolysis of Expandable Polystyrene Beads“, AICHE Journal, Volume No. 56 (6), Page No. 1569‐1577, June 2010.
- Meera Balachandran , Lisha P. Stanly , R. Mulaleekrishnan and S.S. Bhagawan. “Modeling NBR‐ layere silicate nanocomposites: A DoE approach,”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science. Volume No. 118 (6), Page No.3300‐3310, July 2010.
- M.Kannan. “Effect of sequence of nanoclay addition in TPU/PP blends: thermomechanical properties”, Journal of Materials Science, Volume No. 45(4), Page No. 1078 – 1085, February 2010.
- K. Jayanarayanan, Sabu Thomas, Kuruvilla Joseph. “Mechanical and thermal properties of microfibrillar polymer‐polymer composites”, Journal of Polymer Materials, Volume No. 25(3), Page No. 381‐ 386, 2008.
- K. Jayanarayanan, Sabu Thomas, Kuruvilla Joseph. “Dynamic mechanical analysis of in situ microfibrillar
composites based on PP and PET”, Polymer‐Plastics Technology and Engineering, Volume No. 48 (4) , Page No. 455 ‐ 463, 2009.
- K. Jayanarayanan, Tomlal Jose, Sabu Thomas, Kuruvilla Joseph. “Effect of draw ratio on the microstructure, thermal, tensile and dynamic rheological properties of insitu microfibrillar composites”, European Polymer Journal, Volume No. 45 (6), Page No. 1738‐1747, June 2009.
- E.Tomlal Jose, K. Jayanarayanan, Kuruvilla Joseph. “Impact, Tear, and Dielectric Properties of Cotton/Polypropylene Commingled Composites”, Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Volume No. 29 (12), Page No. 1861‐1874, June 2009.
- M.Kannan. “Thermomechanical behavior of nanoclay filled TPU/PP blends,” e‐polymers, Volume No. 133, Page No. 133, August 2008.
- M.Kannan. “Mechanical properties and morphology of nanoclay filled TPU/PP blends: Structure – property relations”, Journal of composites material, Volume No. 43 (18), Page No. 1915‐1926, May 2009.